Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Day 2 Summary: Things To Do in Denver When You're Sleepy





820 miles. 13 1/2 hours. 4 states (IL, MO, KS, CO)

Well, we made it. Lauren and I traversed the Kansas plains and landed in Denver shortly after 6PM. We were fortunate enough to be able to stay with my buddy Regan, as well as his soon-to-be wife Lori and dogs Roxie (on bottom) and Pete. Lauren and I were exhausted and eager to crash, but not before consuming a hearty meal of raw fish. I must say, there's almost no point in eating stuff like that if I don't have Freddy around to torture with it.

A quick Regan story. When we first met, in March of 2000, I had only been in the city for four months, and despite my undeniable magnetism, had yet to make any good friends.

Anyhoo, Regan and I were introduced by a mutual female acquaintence one Saturday night at the Purple Martini, and we hit it off right away. He was everything I hoped to become during my time in Colorado; a top-notch skier, avid hiker, he loved to camp, mountain bike, rock climb, etc...

When the night ended, Regan asked if I had plans for the next day.

"No plans," I replied, my cool exterior belying my nervousness, "What did you have in mind?"

My mind was racing with the possibilities. What exhilerating -- potentially dangerous, even --Mountain Dew commerical of an outdoor excursion did this adrenaline junkie have in store for me?

"You wanna' go shoot some prairie dogs?"

That's when I knew I wasn't in New Jersey anymore.

And no, I didn't go shoot any prairie dogs. Who could get mad at this face?

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you two made it to CO safe and sound! Lauren please call when you get a chance...miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of prairie dogs in TX...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are there safe! Miss you much. The dogs are super cute. I think Zoe may get jealous!! You can only watch football with her, ya know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you made it tbone. God bless that woman for being in a car with you that long....then again, she did marry you.....

    ReplyDelete